Thursday 11 February 2016

The start of 2016

It's been a while since I last wrote a blog about my cycling and I must say I am pretty happy to write again. 2016 was quick upon us and the season is already heating up with the 2nd Ashburton Investment National Ultra marathon race just around the corner in the mountains of Sabie. My first race of the year was the usual Summer Fast One near Alberton. There is some positives to take out of a race like that but I normally just race it to get back into action and test the body a bit before the tough hard racing begin.

The 1st Ashburton Investment National series was held at Meerendal Wines Estate down in Durbanville. The 1st one is always a tough one as everyone is trying to get in shape for the Epic and to get their seasons underway. Meerendal was 102km and about 2500m of climbing which is a proper workout. One thing that also played a big role was the extreme heat Cape Town was experiencing over that time. At some point I looked down at my GPS Device and it said 38degrees and it was not even 12 O'Clock yet.



I had good consistent pace going at the start and rode with a very nice group up until the 50km mark and everyone just kept their own pace going up a very steep section on the course. Every now and then you will ride with someone else as some guys drop from the front or some guys passing you from behind. Close to the 70km mark where the split is I got a very funny annoying noise somewhere on my bike and it sounded like my bike is going to crack in half. I managed to get to the split and stopped there to have a look what the problem is and we couldn't find anything strange but as soon as I am on the bike it starts again, I lost a lot of time in the tech zone but after a while I decided to continue. It was a tough last 30km to go and I was completely on my own now fighting the wind and uphills. After climbing up to the tower we started heading down, but it was trick cause the path was off camber going downhill with some slippery corners and it was not to long when I ran out of talent and found myself on the floor wiping of some dust. Anyone will tell you the scariest thing after a crash is to check if your bike is still okey and in my case I damaged my rear derailleur and struggled to get my gears fixed and couldn't get into my granny gear. Every time there was a steep climb I had to get of my bike. It was very frustrating but at the end I finished the race. It was not what I hoped for but that is sport anything can happen at anytime of the race. I am looking forward to race Sabie in about a weeks time and to try and improve from Meerendal.

 

Thank you for all the support from everyone I see you guys in Sabie
Safe Travels

Pierre

No comments:

Post a Comment